Lifetime Commissions - setup
Note: This article relates to the Lifetime Commissions pro add-on.
The Lifetime Commissions add-on links a customer to an affiliate, allowing the linked affiliate to receive commission on all future purchases by the customer. For version 1.3 and later, AffiliateWP version 2.2 is required.
Once installed and activated, you’ll need to think about whether you’d like to enable lifetime commissions for all affiliates, or only for some.
Enabling Lifetime Commissions for all affiliates
- Go to Affiliates → Settings → Integrations
- Under the Lifetime Commissions header, click on the Enable For All Affiliates? checkbox
- Click Save Changes
Enabling Lifetime Commissions on a per-affiliate basis
- Go to Affiliates → Affiliates and click the name of the affiliate from the Name column on the affiliate you’d like to enable lifetime commissions for.
- On the Edit Affiliate screen, click the Enable Lifetime Commissions checkbox.
- Click Update Affiliate.
Enabling Lifetime Customers Access in the Affiliate Area
If you'd like your affiliates to see the customers that are linked to them in the affiliate area, click the Lifetime Customers Access checkbox.
When this access is enabled, a new Lifetime Customers tab link will be added in the affiliate area.
Link Customers To Affiliates On User Registration
When this is checked, any user registration will link the new user to the affiliate being tracked.
Linking, de-linking and removing users from affiliates
Linking a customer to an affiliate from within the admin
Customers are automatically linked when they make a purchase using an affiliate’s typical referral URL however there may be times when you’d like to link a customer to an affiliate from within the WordPress admin. This process has been revised as of version 1.3 and higher of Lifetime Commissions and version 2.2x or higher of the core AffiliateWP plugin.
- Go to Affiliates → Affiliates, and click the name of the affiliate you’d like to link to a customer.
- On the bottom of the Edit Affiliate screen, enter a customer's email into the Add New Customer Email text field, and click Add Email. Repeat this process for additional customers you'd like to link to this affiliate.
- When finished, click Update Affiliate to save the affiliate's information. The customer(s) are now linked to the affiliate and their email address will be shown in the Linked Customers list.
Note: If the customer does not have a WordPress user account on your site, the email will still be shown, however, it won't be linked to a user profile. This would apply to purchases made as a guest.
De-linking a customer from an affiliate
- Go to Affiliates → Affiliates, and click the name of the affiliate you'd like to de-link from the customer.
- On the bottom of the Edit Affiliate screen, locate the customer's email address you'd like to de-link, and click the Unlink Customer link beside it. Repeat this process for any additional customers you'd like to de-link from this affiliate.
- When finished, click Update Affiliate to save the affiliate's information. The customer(s) are now de-linked from the affiliate.
Changing the customer's linked affiliate
Follow the steps above to first de-link the customer from the current affiliate, then manually link them to the new affiliate.
Visual Indicator for Referrals Generated by a Linked Lifetime Customer
In v1.3 a visual indicator was added to the Referrals screen to show those referrals generated from a linked customer: