Zapier - Setup and configuration
- A familiarity with how Zapier works, as well as a free Zapier account
- The Zapier Pro Add-on has two parts; the plugin you install on your site, and a Zapier app we've made in the app Zapier ecosystem. While this Zapier app is in Beta, you'll need to use our invite code to add the AffiliateWP Zapier app to your Zapier account. Click here to accept an invite for the AffiliateWP Zapier app.
Basic set up
After installing and activating the Zapier pro add-on, visit the Affiliates → Settings screen, and click on the Zapier tab. Enable the add-on by checking the Enable Zapier checkbox:
Don't see anything? The Zapier pro-add on requires AffiliateWP 1.9 or later. If you've installed and tried to activate the Zapier pro add-on and don't see the Zapier tab in the AffiliateWP settings screen noted above, that means you'll need to update AffiliateWP first, to version 1.9 or later.
1. Check the checkboxes next to the notifications you'd like to enable for use within Zapier. The options available are:
For each of the items above which you enable, you can create Zapier triggers for any of the following events:
- Any item is created
- Any item is updated (except Payouts, since they can't be edited)
- Any item is deleted
For example, if you enable Affiliate notifications, you'll be able to trigger a Zapier event on any of the following conditions:
- Whenever an affiliate account is created on the site, whether added by an administrator manually, or via an affiliate registration.
- Whenever an affiliate's account information is updated in any way on the site*.
*Except when re-calculating affiliate earnings due to a referral being altered, such as a referral rejection. This is done by AffiliateWP any time a referral is changed, so that affiliate information always stays accurate and up-to-date.
- Whenever an affiliate is deleted on the site.
The same can be done for referrals, visits, creatives, and payouts! However, payouts cannot be edited, so the payout updated option is not available for payouts.
Connecting your site with your Zapier account
AffiliateWP will only authenticate with the API keys method defined in this setup guide below. Despite there being a Zapier App called WordPress on zapier.com, which allows for various functionalities on a WordPress site, it does not authenticate with AffiliateWP, nor does it provide any functionality for AffiliateWP.
First, let's get the rest of the set up completed, then we'll create an example zap.
2. Now select the desired trigger. There are numerous options. Make sure to scroll through the available options to see everything.
Once you've selected the desired trigger, click Save + Continue at the bottom-right of the screen.
3. Click Connect A New Account, and a pop-up window from Zapier will open.
4. To get the information Zapier is requesting, we'll need to head back to your site where AffiliateWP and the Zapier add-on are installed. Keep this Zapier window open - we'll get back to it in just a moment.
5. On your site, go to Affiliates → Tools, and click on the API Keys tab.
6. In the input field at the top, enter the username of an admin user on your site you'd like to use for authenticating with Zapier. Once the correct username pops up, click the Generate New API Keys button.
7. You'll receive something like this, but the values in each key will be unique.
8. Copy the public key and head back to that Zapier pop-up window. Paste it in the field labeled Public Key.
9. Now do the same for the Token field.
10. Lastly, add your site url. If you're not sure of the site url, this can be found on the main WordPress settings page, Settings → Site Address.
11. Once everything is filled out, click on the Yes, Continue button at the bottom of the pop-up window.
12. You should now see your site selected similar to the screenshot below.
13. Click Save + Continue. Now, let's test to make sure things are working before we create the zap.
Click on Fetch & Continue.
14. Now we'll create the action, where we can choose another app. Because of the virtually infinite combinations in which you can integrate apps on Zapier, you'll possibly see things that look a little different from what you're seeing within this guide. However, the same principle applies for all Zapier zaps: you'd now like to do something with the information AffiliateWP is providing to your Zapier account.
In this case, the action is to create a Slack message (Slack is a messaging app used for communication and notifications, and is one of the over 700 different apps available on Zapier). In this example, the content of a new Slack message is filled with data from a New Affiliate registration.
The available fields are available within a drop-down menu of trigger fields. Zapier shows one item from your site (usually the latest one to occur) as an example of how things will look once the zap is created:
15. You'll have the option to test this step as well. Once the step has completed (or if you prefer to skip the test), you're given the option to name the zap, and turn it on. This zap will now trigger on any valid AffiliateWP event.
16. All finished!